Types of Ski Wax

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Ski Tuning Tips and other Skiing topics.

What type of wax is common for Nordic skiers?

Types of Ski Wax

Anyone who has ever visited a ski shop might find themselves overwhelmed by the variety of ski waxes that are displayed on the counter. So how do you decide which wax to use? Basically glide wax (which is used on alpine skis, Nordic skis and snowboards), is designed to make the best use of the membrane of water that separates the ski and the snow. Essentially, smooth skiing involves striking a balance between what is known as wet drag and dry friction. An excess of water creates too much suction, whereas a lack of water will create friction. By applying glide wax to the bases of your skis, you can neutralize this membrane of water for optimal gliding.

Grip wax is used by Nordic skiers that practice the classical technique. There are two distinct varieties of grip wax: kick and klister. When there is either new snow, or older cold snow, you want to look for a tin of kick wax. Icy conditions call for klister wax. It's easy to recognize. Klister wax comes in a tube that looks like toothpaste. When applied to the center of the ski, which is also known as the “kick zone,” grip wax will help this important section of the ski maintain its contact with the snow.



12/25/2007 4:52:18 PM
Terry Hertel said:

Since the 70"s there has been a all temperature ski and snowboard wax called Hot Sauce. It does work very well in temps from 6 f up to the 50's.
They also have a general racing wax and a product called White Gold. Free is a download
called WAXFAX....wax facts. No colors in this company.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Skiing Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Carma Spence-Pothitt